Basketball is a great game that requires teamwork, skill, and strategy. The elevator play is a play used by many teams to move the players up and down the court while keeping the ball moving. It’s like an elevator, hence the name! The play is designed to create open shots, break through defenses, and keep control of the ball. In this article, we will look at the elevator play in an easy-to-understand way, so you can see how it works and how to do it yourself.
The Basics of the Elevator Play:
The elevator play is a fun way to move players up and down the court while keeping the ball moving. It helps create open shots and keeps the ball away from the other team. This play is named after an elevator because it moves players up and down the court like an elevator moves from floor to floor.
How to Do the Elevator Play:
- First, the point guard brings the ball up the court.
- Then, they pass the ball to a wing player.
- The wing player passes the ball back to the point guard.
- The point guard moves up the court and passes the ball to a big man.
- The big man passes the ball back to the point guard.
- The point guard moves up the court and passes the ball to another wing player.
- Finally, the wing player passes the ball to a shooter for an open shot.
It’s important to note that the play should be performed quickly and smoothly. The passes should be crisp and accurate, and players should move up the court in a coordinated manner. The goal is to keep the ball moving and create opportunities for open shots.
Different Types of Elevator Plays:
There are several different versions of the elevator play that can be used to keep defenses off-balance and create open shots. Some of the most popular include:
- Elevator screen play
- Elevator backdoor play
- Elevator pass play
Tips for Success:
Here are some tips for making the most of the elevator play:
- Practice the play in drills to get better.
- Make sure everyone on the team knows what their role is.
- Move the ball quickly and smoothly.
- Look for open shots and be ready to shoot.
- Be ready to change things up if the other team’s defense breaks through.
The elevator play is a fun and effective way to move players up and down the court and keep the ball moving. By practicing it and making sure everyone knows what they’re doing, you can get better and better at it. Just like taking an elevator from floor to floor, the elevator play is a great way to get from one end of the court to the other and make some great shots along the way!