The crossover move is a basketball technique used to fool defenders and make space for the ball-handler. It involves quickly changing the direction and speed of the ball while dribbling, allowing the ball-handler to get past the defender and score. Whether you’re new to basketball or an experienced player, the crossover move is a valuable technique to know.
In this guide, we’ll explain the crossover move in simple terms and show you how to do it, when to use it, and how to get better at it. Our guide covers the following topics:
What is the crossover move?
The crossover move is a dribbling technique where you quickly switch the ball from one hand to the other while moving sideways. This confuses the defender and gives you space to get past them and make a shot.
How to do the crossover move
Here are the steps to do the crossover move:
- Dribble the ball with one hand.
- Take a step to the side with your lead foot.
- Quickly switch the ball to your other hand by crossing it over in front of your body.
- Take another step with your other foot and speed past your defender.
When to use the crossover move
The crossover move is best used when you need to make space from your defender. Use it to get past a defender who is guarding you closely or to get open for a shot. But don’t use it too much, or the defender will anticipate it.
Tips to improve your crossover technique
To get better at the crossover move, try these tips:
- Improve your balance and footwork.
- Keep the ball close to your body when doing the crossover.
- Dribble low to switch directions quickly.
- Use different moves to keep the defender guessing.
Common mistakes to avoid
Here are some mistakes to avoid when doing the crossover move:
- Don’t let the defender steal the ball by keeping it close to your body.
- Don’t take too long to do the crossover, or the defender will catch up.
- Stay in control when doing the move.
Famous players who use the crossover
Many famous basketball players use the crossover move, including Allen Iverson, Tim Hardaway, Kyrie Irving, and Stephen Curry. These players are known for their ball-handling skills and ability to create space and get to the basket.
The crossover move is a valuable basketball technique that can help you get past defenders and make a shot. By learning how to do it, when to use it, and how to improve your technique, you can become a better ball-handler and scorer. Practice regularly and use different moves to keep defenders guessing.